After qualifying Brenda worked as a staff nurse in the Sheffield hospitals including time at Weston Park Oncology hospitals prior to developing a career in community as a District Nurse. It was here that she developed a passion for wound healing and was appointed to one of the first community Tissue Viability Nurse roles in the country in 1992.
Brenda now has a wealth of experience in Tissue Viability and became Nurse Consultant in 2008; during her time working in tissue viability she has been instrumental in developing local wound care services including leg ulcer prevention and management and pressure ulcer prevention and management. The local leg ulcer services encompassed the development of nurse led clinics, educational programmes both for community staff and the curriculum development and delivery of the former ENB N18 course at the Sheffield University.
The main aims of the service are to identify through research and audit, areas where a change in practice and the implementation of research findings would improve patient outcomes in chronic and acute wound management, highlighting the educational needs of health care providers, patients and carers. Furthermore, identifying areas where health promotion and preventative techniques of management would reduce the incidence of chronic wound problems. Brenda has been involved in undertaking research and also as advisor to research, sitting on research steering committees and data monitoring committee and has many publications to her name. She is actively involved in the judging of entries to nursing awards related to tissue viability for Molnlyke, Urgo and Crawfords and sits on the editorial panel for the Journal of Wound Care.
- MBE awarded in the birthday honours list 2009 for services to health care
- Wounds UK Award 2007 for Chronic Oedema Management
- Journal of Wound Care Scholarship Award 2002 for primary research
- Journal of Wound Care Award 2002 for literature review of pain on dressing change
- Journal of Wound Care Award 1998 for literature review of Photoplethysmography
- Westfield Travel Scholarship 1991 to visit centres of excellence in leg ulcer management
- Nurse Prescribing
- ENB N18 Leg Ulcer Management (Charing Cross Hospital)
- District Nurse Training
- General Nursing Training (Honours Certificate)
- Orthopaedic Nursing Certificate (prize winner)
- 2002 Master of Medical Science in Advancing Nursing Practice
- 1999 Bachelor of Medical Science in Health Care Research 1ST Class Honours